How To Shop For Gender-Inclusive Toys For Boys & Girls
Break the rules and start buying neutral toys for kids. The stereotype of buying “girlie” toys and “boy” toys are passé. If you need help choosing a toy go here.
Here we have listed a few tips to make the process easier on those who are used to reach out for gender-specific toys.
- The trend is still to package goods in gender-specific Steer clear of these toys. Looks for toys with packaging that shows both girls and boys playing with the same toys.
- Look for STEM or science technology engineering and mathematics-based toys which are gender inclusive. Even building sets and robot-making sets are inclusive and are finding acceptance with kids of both genders.
- Simple toys like wooden blocks, jigsaw puzzles, vehicles etc. are gender neutral toys that children of both genders enjoy playing with.
- You must also look at toys that develop the cognitive skills of the child; toys that flame their creative skills like art supplies which once again are gender neutral and kids can be engaged for hours coloring and drawing.
- Puppets improving their communication skills and help them to come out of their shell.
The onus of breaking the gender stereotype is on parents, teachers, and caregivers. They must take the responsibility of encouraging their kids to play with both “so-called” masculine and feminine toys. Only when boys and girls play with toys labeled till recently as “for boys” or “for girls” can one hope to raise a generation where everyone is equal.
But do remember to buy a toy that interests your child because ultimately the purpose of toys is to provide comfort and entertainment for kids which should not be lost in the search for a gender-neutral toy!